How much does the average Golden Retriever weigh?
- Males typically weigh between 75-80 lbs, and females are slightly smaller at 60-65 lbs.
What are their coats like?
- One of the most admired physical appearances of the Golden Retriever is their multi-length coat. During colder months they have a thick undercoat and a longer, water repellent outer coat with beautiful feathering on the chest, tail, back of thighs and forelegs. Goldens can vary from a very light cream to dark gold, to even a red coat. All variations are considered normal and equally desirable, it is completely up to individual preference.
Are Golden Retrievers smart and easy to train?
- Well-bred and properly socialized Goldens are extremely trainable and versatile. Goldens not only make unsurpassable family companions, but are also employed as guide dogs for the blind, service dogs for those who require assistance or support, therapy dogs for comfort , are superb hunting dogs, and excel in the show rings.
What kind of training is best for Goldens?
- If possible, taking some obedience classes or private professional training with your pup is extremely beneficial. Please remember that puppy training requires dedication and consistency and will not be perfected in a short amount of time. Sending consistent messaging and making sure everyone in the family is on-board with sticking to rules is absolutely necessary and treats make all the difference! The reward of a well trained, good mannered dog are definitely worth all the hard work, but it’s important to consider all the time and energy that basic training will take. Some resources are available here: http://www.dogtrainingcareers.com/blog https://shoppuppyculture.com/pages/puppy-owners https://empoweredpuppy.com/a-puppys-perspective/
Will our puppy come with a health guarantee?
- YES. Our dogs are our family and their health is our priority. We also want their new families to rest assured that we are providing them with a happy, healthy new family member. We have a very strict protocol for cleaning and disinfection of the areas the puppies and all our goldens live in, we keep our yard clean of dog feces and dispose of it appropriately, we follow a parasite control program, and have regular conversations with our veterinarian on the best harm reduction we can provide. We provide a 2 year health guarantee for specific genetic diseases, plus an extra year, if the dog is provided quality dog food & supplements, regular veterinary care, and specific medical stipulations are met.
Can we visit our puppy while we’re waiting for him to come home with us?
- We understand that it’s exciting to learn you’re getting a new puppy and the wait can be very long, however, it’s also very important that we keep our puppies healthy and with their mom as much as possible during the first weeks. We offer one visit to meet the puppies. This is to ensure the best health for our pups. Our dogs are our family and their health is important to us and it’s also important that we guarantee all our families that they are bringing home a puppy free of sickness and diseases. We also ask that you don’t visit other kennels the day of your scheduled visit, as an extra precaution to prevent the spread of illnesses. Thanks to digital technology at our finger tips, we will be able to provide pictures of our litters frequently. Once you have chosen your pup, if you have a name chosen we will use it so your puppy starts to recognize it.
What do we need to purchase for our new puppy?
- We recommend a crate, collar, leash, bed, and some quality chew toys. For a complete least of items we suggest you have ready for your new pup, please see our Prep for Puppy menu. Since your puppy is going to grow quickly don’t bother buying a small crate, you can place a divider in it to make it smaller and continue to move it to accommodate your growing pup. Most of our supplies are ordered from Amazon.ca. Visit our Preparing For Puppy Page to see a complete list and links. We also recommend a good quality food and supplements. All our dogs and pups are fed TLC Whole Life Dog Food. The formula of this food delivers the ultimate balance of quality meats, fats, vitamins and minerals. It’s considered a meat-first diet of fresh and natural ingredients and you will be able to see the results of a healthy, shiny coat as well as allergy protection, protection from obesity. Your puppy will go home with a treat bag and samples of this food as well as a coupon to start your own account which includes free home delivery! If you’re interested in purchasing this food now, click the TLC Whole Life Dog Food link above and use our breeder code #76703-1025 to receive a discount off your 1st purchase!
What About Vitamins and Supplements?
- All our dogs take NuVet vitamins and supplements daily. Learn more about @NuvetLabsOfficial products at https://www.nuvet.com/45049. If you want to order now, please use our breeder code #45049.
Will our puppy be provided with any training before coming to live with us?
- YES! Check out our NEW Enhanced Training Program Early brain connections, stimulation and development are very important to dogs. Our reputation is built around providing families with a socialized, stimulated puppy with a solid foundation of neurological pathways and development. Pups are handled and cuddled daily, increasing time as they age and their mom permits. As they mature, they will be provided with tactile items, toys and new experiences to explore daily. The pups are socialized with new people and taken for car rides to lessen the stress of the ride home. Puppies are fully weaned from their mom and given the experience of sleeping solo in a crate in the days leading up to their arrival at their new home. They become accustomed to litter in their play area very early in life, which makes the transition to outdoor potty seamless. The optimal and most crucial learning period for brain development is in the first 16 weeks. Since we spend at least 1/2 of that period with the puppy, we recognize how important our time with them is and are dedicated to making the most of that time so families will receive a puppy with the optimal foundation for learning and life!