We often get asked what families need to purchase in order to prepare for their new pup. Since we have families from near and far purchasing puppies from us, I found it was easiest to cut and paste links to Amazon.ca in the bodies of emails to our families. Since we are getting these questions on a regular basis, I have recently included this page to the website, to link families to our recommended products via Amazon.ca which makes it simple to order and receive regardless of where our puppy families live. Just click on the links next to each item explained below .
- Stainless Steel Food Dish and Water Bowl: Stainless steel is preferable since it’s easy to clean and disinfect.
2. Crate: We suggested purchasing one larger sized crate with a divider, instead of purchasing several smaller crates that will outgrow your puppy. This will save you money and allow the puppy to get used to one crate which will grow with him/her. Our early training that we start before the puppies go to their new homes revolves around crate training so we highly encourage our families to purchase one and have it ready the day your new puppy comes home.
4. Crate bed liner: We suggest machine washable and durable for little chewers.
5. Dog Bed: (for outside the crate) We like to buy the extra large size and let the puppy grow into it, saves money instead of buying several as the puppy grows. We’ve learned the hard way it’s better to buy machine washable covers and durable for chewers.
6. Play Yard: these are essential for the early weeks of crate and potty training, we use the yard to slowly expand the puppy’s play space outside his/her crate. It’s also a safe place to put puppy when you can’t supervise constantly. We use a play yard to surround our puppy play living area when they leave the whelping bed.
7. Harness and collars: Your new puppy will need a new collar as he/she grows. Retrievers tend to pull when walked on leash, and if an inexperienced handler or child is leading them, thier pulling can potentially damage the puppy’s wind pipe. We recommend using a harness when being walked by inexperienced or young handlers.
10. Doggy Bags: Don’t forget to scoop if your puppy poops ! These are the ones we prefer to use, since they’re biodegradable.
11. Toys: Our favorite brands are KONG and NYLABONE, they’re safe and durable. We’ve found that amazon is the least expensive place to buy both these brands!
11. Clean up: Accidents Happen, be prepared so it won’t be alarming when the inevitable takes place from time to time
13. Vehicle Seat Covers
We are a willing participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide us a means of earning fees by linking to Amazon.ca